Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Do you need a theme?

So one of the questions people kept asking me was, "What is the theme of your wedding?"  Since when did weddings need a theme?  For some reason this was very hard for me to figure out.  I mean I had a vision for what I wanted it to be...elegant, romantic, simple, fun, glamorous.  And while these were all adjectives that described what I wanted, it wasn't exactly a theme.

Could my colors be a theme?  I had agonized over just picking these out.  My favorite color was blue so I wanted to incorporate that somehow.  But what shade of blue?  I didn't even realize the myriad of shades until trying to plan a wedding.  Also, there weren't that many blue flowers.  Then I thought about blue and gold since those were my school colors (go Bruins!).  And for an accent color, I'd always loved silver and since I love sparkles and rhinestones...I thought that would be a great color to add in.

But somehow this didn't quite seem enough.  How about our monogram?  That was something we could include in our invitations and on all the stationary elements of the wedding.  But shouldn't a theme incorporate some part of our personalities that made us unique?  That's when the fiance came up with an idea.  We met at a club...maybe our theme could be "nightclub"?  At first I thought this was a silly idea but when I googled it there were actually some cute ways to incorporate it...red carpet entrance, club flyer with info about an after party, etc. Somehow it still wasn't what I was looking for.  Then I thought about an element that I could incorporate into the decor like silver hearts or lovebirds. I still don't know what I'm going to do.  Maybe have no theme at all.

Did you have a theme?  What was/is your theme?

No comments:

Post a Comment